At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Purpose of the Role:
To assist the hydrogeologist, primarily with daily operational tasks, to help ensure a high level of data collection, supervision and coverage.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Assist the hydrogeologist with field inspections and monitoring
- Drill supervision.
- Data collection at drill rigs.
- Borehole construction in conjunction with drill contractors.
- Grouting activities.
- Monitoring and flow data collection.
- Geophysical survey traverse marking and managing bush-clearing activities.
- Pit inspections.
- Database data inputs.
- Carry out hydraulic test-work under the supervision of the hydrogeologist
- Assist with installation and maintenance of borehole infrastructure
- Assist with hydrogeological mapping.
- Supervision and logistical coordination of drill-site clearing and pad construction.
- Ensure that all groundwater related incidents are reported and investigated.
- Liaise with geology, mine planning, survey and mining operations, where required in order to perform tasks assigned by hydrogeologist.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
- Night shift may be required if the need arises.
Expected Deliverables from this job:
- Ensure that the open pit mine site is always safe from a groundwater perspective, and effectively assist in the management of the groundwater resources to ensure efficient dewatering and water quality monitoring.
- Must have a thorough methodical approach to routine tasks and problem solving.
- Must be willing to work with and assimilate experience from colleagues from a variety of skills and national backgrounds.
- Must have strong team ethic and communication abilities.
- Ability or willingness to undertake occasional shift work when necessary.
- Must be self-motivated.
- Ability to work independently.
- Must be highly detail-oriented.
- Must have a clean criminal record.
Knowledge and Experience required to perform in this job:
The Hydrogeological Technician will require knowledge, skills and experience in the following areas:
- Basic Health and Safety knowledge.
- Knowledge of Basic First Aid.
- Must be computer literate (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Undergraduate qualification or previous open-pit hydrogeological experience not required, but advantageous.
- Valid drivers’ license (manual) essential.
Visit our website and register for instant job alerts at careers.first-quantum.com
Follow us for the latest news at LinkedIn
If you are already a First Quantum employee and have access to the First Quantum network, log into First Quantum MINE > Careers to apply internally for this opportunity.
If you are an employee without network access, contact your Site Recruiter.